About Armação dos Búzios
The perfect place to spend your Holliday's, Búzios is a beautiful 8 km long peninsula and sea town that offers great diversity of landscapes with its 23 different types of beaches, exuberant tropical vegetation, forests, arid with cactus, hills with spectacular views, corals and diverse marine fauna, nightlife with numerous bars and clubs, restaurants rich in gastronomy, cool nights, starry skies and 250 days of sunshine per year.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF BÚZIOS
When Europeans first arrived to these shores, the Tupinambá tribe occupied the peninsula. The region was considered ideal for fishing, especially for seashells. Out of this practice comes the current name of "Búzios", (Portuguese for "diver"). As early as 1575, the Portuguese included the "Ponta dos Búzios" ("Divers Point") in the Cabo Frío region map. Ahe Tupinambás kept close bonds with the French pirates and smugglers, which hid in the area to deal hardwood, mainly pau-brasil, and sell African slaves. In the 17th century, the French were expelled after bloody battles which also diminished greatly the indigenous population.
At the beginning of the 18th century, the gold trade from Minas Gerais and its exportation to Europe from Rio de Janeiro, resulted in an increase of ships and a drop in the other traditional economic activity of the area, whale hunting. The whales were then processed in the "armações" such as the "Armação de Buzios" that named the area. At the time all city lights were fuelled with whale oil. Along with the increase of ships in the area, 40 years of extensive whale hunting had caused the near extinction of the local species. This resulted in the decline of the "armações". Buzios became a small fishing village.
END OF SLAVE TRADE ON THE BEACHES OF BUZIOS
Since 1850, with the " Eusébio de Queiróz Law" that forbid the slave trade in Brazilian waters, the Buzios coastline came under heavy surveillance by the National Navy. Therefore, slave boats looked for small and unknown spots to unload the slaves they brought form Africa. In Buzios, they used the José Gonçalves beach and the Ponta do Pai Vitório in Rasa beach, which also received the name of "Unloading beach".
With the Abolition of Slavery in 1888, groups of recently freed blacks left the inland estates and started a community in the Rasa beach that live from fishing and small scale agriculture.
This remained so, until the second half of the 20th century when tourism started to change the face of Buzios.
BRIGITTE BARDOT IN BÚZIOS
On January 7th, 1964, one of the actresses of the moment, Brigitte Bardot, came to Rio de Janeiro to spent a holiday with her boyfriend Bob Zagury (a Moroccan-Brazilian that she had met in Europe). Harassed by paparazzi, she hid in an apartment in Av. Atlântica, close to the Copacabana Palace. After a non-stop pursuit she decided to leave Rio and hide in Armação dos Búzios. At that time, Buzios did not have tap water, electricity or phones. There were only 300 people there, living of the sea. There she found peace, quietness and freedom. She spent a season swimming naked, eating fresh fruit that small kids picked for her, playing with the animals and walking barefoot.
In 1997, Armação dos Búzios became an independent municipality. Each year more and more people from all over the world come to settle in Buzios, which has turned it into a cosmopolitan oasis with modern infrastructure and lives mainly from Tourism. It success comes from the happy mix of the local rustic simplicity and the European sophistication in a beautiful natural landscape.
What was once a small fishing village, is now a very charming place where most of the houses are ateliers, guest houses, sophisticated cafés and clubs or rustic restaurants.
Búzios is known, beyond its beaches and wonders of the nature, for its nightlife with numerous bars, international clubs and its great diversity of restaurants rich in gastronomy.
Saint Anna's Chapel was built with stone, lime and whale oil mortar in 1740. Saint 'Anna's Church (located between Armação and the Ossos beach) has been restored and preserved. It hosts images of Saint Anne and Jesus. In colonial times the church was the centre of the Armação community. It's bell gave people the news about celebrations, funerals, emergencies and the presence of whales. When a watchman spotted the whales, the priest would have the bell toll and the whale hunters would gather to hunt them.